top of page
  • Writer's pictureThe Good Company People

What can a Dementia Support Worker do to help me?

Updated: 6 days ago

What is this?

Carers Breaks Engagement Team (or CBET) are a team from East Sussex County Council who support people living with dementia and their carers. A dedicated support worker will visit you every 4 weeks if you live alone or every 3 months.

Your Support Worker will give you their contact details so if you have any questions or need support or advice between visits simply pick up the phone and they will get back to you.

How does it help me?

They can help you with:

  • Council Tax reduction 

  • Attendance Allowance

  • Obtaining a CRESS Card

  • Refer you to Care For The Carers

  • Help to obtain a Blue Badge

  • Refer to Association of Carers to access free respite (3 hours on a fortnightly basis)

  • Support you with Advanced Care Planning

  • Refer you to an Occupational Therapist (if you need equipment to continue to live at home)

  • Refer you for a Social Care Assessment

  • Refer you for a Financial Assessment

  • Carry out an annual Carers Assessment (or sooner if your situation changes and need one earlier)

  • Refer to BHT Sussex who can help you apply for benefits and housing needs.

  • Refer to ESCC sensory team (hearing or sight loss)

  • Explore local options for social engagement.

  • Referral to Red Cross for short term befriending for up to six weeks.

How much does it cost?

It's a free service.

How do I get a Support Worker?

Once you get a dementia diagnosis you will be asked if you would like to be referred to CBET and assigned a Support Worker who will come and visit you at your home. This service and it will continue until the person you support goes into residential care or passes away.

If you do not have a support worker assigned to you, call East Sussex County Council Health and Social Care Connect on 0345 60 80 191.

34 views0 comments


bottom of page