The Good Company People
Join us as we take part in the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch
Birdwatching is a truly enjoyable activity for people living with dementia. Not only is seeing bird movement calming but, listening to bird songs can also lift spirits. With the RSPB Big Garden Birdwatch taking place from 28th-30th January, it’s the perfect time to give it a try with those you care for.
The Good Company People Host Emma Collie gives her tips for bird-themed activities:
● There are lots of elements to this activity. You can do them all in one day or take your time over it
● One day you could go for a walk to collect pine cones. The next day you could make them into natural bird feeders. Check out my method below
● Choose a spot in the garden to hang the feeders
● Make sure you all have a comfy seat near the window
● You will need a good bird identification book to hand
● The birds won’t necessarily turn up when you want them to! So it’s worth having another bird-related activity to hand. Try this fun game ‘Bird Bingo’ available on Amazon
To make a bird feeder:
It’s as easy as one, two, three
Attach some garden string to the top of a pinecone
Cover the pine cone in peanut butter
Roll in fine bird seed
Here’s Emma’s Good Company group making their bird feeders.